Gentlemen of the press, You will recall that four (4) days ago, the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Cross River State Branch called a press conference in respect of the kidnap of a Doctor in Akamkpa Local Government Area, Cross River State and we raised concerns that this kidnapping seemed to be targeted at Doctors living in Cross River State.
We are sad to inform you that another of our member, Dr. Emem Moses Udoh of the Department of Paediatrics and Child Health UCTH, Calabar has been taken captive in the early hours of this morning of Tuesday 9th January, 2018 by unknown armed men to an undisclosed destination. Her properties including; Vehicle, TV set and mobile phones were forcefully taken along with her, leaving behind her eighteen (18) months old baby in the care of her little niece living with her.
You will recall that the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Cross River State Branch in its Press Release of Friday 5th January, 2018 and a follow up Communiqué of Monday 8th January, 2018 had stated that any further kidnap of a Doctor or his/her dependant, will result in the immediate and indefinite withdrawal of Medical Services from our members in both Private, Public and Institutional Hospitals in the State (University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, Federal Neuro Psychiatric Hospital, General Hospitals, Medical Centers, Mission Hospitals and Private Clinics/ Hospitals).
The Nigerian Medical Association Cross River State for the avoidance of doubts cannot continue to safeguard the lives of others while ours is under constant threat by armed bandits and kidnappers. It surprisingly will appear at this point, that the various security organizations in the State are either helpless or are complicit in this kidnapping racketeering in Cross River State or how else will one explain the fact that a Doctor is kidnapped just within three (3) days of the release of another from kidnappers and the perpetrators of these heinous crimes are never identified and arrested.
From the foregoing, the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Cross River State Branch therefore resolves as follows:
- Members are to immediately withdraw all medical services in all Hospitals; Private and Public, from the hills of Obanlikwu to the creeks of Bakassi LGA, until our colleague is released to us, SAFELY without any conditions.
- We call for the immediate transfer of the Commissioner of Police, Cross River State Command out of this State, due to the upsurge in kidnapping and violent crimes in the State.
- The Inspector General of Police (IGP) should as a matter of urgency send a carefully selected Crack Team of Specially Trained Officers to save the lives of law abiding citizens of Cross River from the onslaught of these kidnappers.
- We appeal to the Cross River State House of Assembly to as a matter of urgency pass a law prescribing Capital Punishment for those convicted of kidnapping in a competent Court of Law.
- We demand the arrest and prosecution of the perpetrators involved in the last two (2) incidences of kidnapping of Doctors by the Crack Team of Specially Trained Officers from the Office of the Inspector General of Police (IGP) Abuja. We are hereby calling on the President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, His Excellency Muhammad Buhari GCFR, His Excellency, Senator Prof. Benedict Ayade Governor of Cross River State, the Inspector General of Police Ibrahim Kpotun Idris and the Director-General Department of State Services Lawal Musa Daura to immediately intervene to ensurethe immediate SAFE release of our colleague (Dr. Emem Moses Udoh).The Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) Cross River State regrets any inconveniences this action taken will cause the General Public and wishes to advise law abiding members of the public requiring Medical Attention within this period, to seek services in neighboring States of the Federation.
Long Live NMA Cross River State.