The Special Adviser to the Governor of Cross River State on Student Affairs and Youth Mobilization on Tuesday, 5th September, 2017 led a State Delegation comprising of Mr. Charles Eyong, Permanent Secretary of Cross River State Liason Office, Abuja and Mr. Temitope Adeniyi, representative of Prof. Angba of the Institute of Management Technology, Ugep to a meeting at the Japanese Embassy in Abuja with the Ambassador.
The meeting was borne out of a request from the Special Assistant’s office seeking for audience and intervention in terms of grants for boosting educational infrastructures in the state, scholarships and exchange programs.
The meeting held at the Japanese Embassy with Mr. Hideki Sakamoto, the Embassy’s First Secretary representing the Japanese Ambassador and Mr. John Chukwuma, the Information Officer of the Embassy in attendance.
Mr. Sakamoto disclosed to the delegation opportunities available on a yearly basis from the Japanese government; They include;
- Scholarship for research students (post-graduates students, who wish to conduct research in Japan for Ph.D./Masters degrees).
- Scholarship for undergraduate students (students who wish to continue their studies in Japanese universities for undergraduate degrees)
- Scholarship for the College of Technology Students (students who wish to study in colleges of technology in Japan)
- Specialised training for college students (students who wish to study in Japan at a specialised training institute for business, fashion, culture, etc)
- Exchange program for teachers (an intensive 1 year six months intensive training programme, basically for teachers of primary and secondary schools).
In the area of grants, the Ambassador’s aide gave detailed on how Cross River state can access funding for grassroots projects to the tune of a hundred thousand dollars per entry and directed the team to the Office of National Planning Commission for millions of dollars in grants depending on the area of need.
In response to the request for cultural and business exchange, he assured the state delegation of the Ambassador’s interest to visit the state to meet with Governor Ben Ayade before the end of October, 2017 to deepen the partnership.
Highpoint of the meeting was the exchange of souvenirs by both parties.